It was the first time I killed a man... I still remember like it was yesterday. It was foggy, raining cats and dogs, that transition period between summer and fall where you're not sure what day it is. The clouds hung low in the sky over the area, the roads wet with soot. I was driving home when a figure stepped into the path in front of the car. My reaction time was shot as I had just left a shady little bar after reaching my limit so I didn't hit the break in time. As the bumper made contact with the mysterious figure, a loud thud resonated through the town, bouncing off the sidewalk and ringing in my ears. The body flung up onto the hood of my car, slamming all at once into the windshield. Arms and legs flailed about, shards of glass flaking off, embedding themselves in the dashboard. Once the car came to a complete stop, the figure shot forward and crashed to the ground. In a flurry of booze and worry, I backed up and sped away as quickly as I could, never looking back. I still feel the shock in my bones every time it rains, remembering and wondering what became of that figure. I guess I will never know...
(I may return to this in the future to lengthen the scene before the car where the character is in the bar. We'll see.)
No comments:
Post a Comment